Friday, August 26, 2011

of valentines, tattoos, and furniture

No sooner had I finished my Burnside Bridge bookcase than my wife Susan asked me if I'd make her a small bookshelf, very small in fact, something for bedside use.  I was happy to comply.  I chose to make her a bookcase and a valentine all in one.  This was on Tuesday.

By Wednesday morning I had the carcass glued up.  Made in select pine with no blemishes, the cutting, and assembley went like a dream.  As usual the screws were hidden with pegs and a cherry stain was applied overall.


As with all of the smaller bookcases I'm making this one has ergonomic hand-holds cut into the sides for ease in moving it about.


To personalize it I designed an old-school Sailor Jerry-style tattoo on the top surface.

First, I inked it in with a Rapidiograph pen,


the ink flows nicely even on the stained surface.


Then I added color, as usual using Prismacolor pencils which are always a pleasure to use, the colow seems to flow on, is very controllable, it saturates and blends like a dream.


The results were very gratifying, this is the valentine part I was referring to.

As usual, the unit was glued, clamped and screwed with pegs flush-cut to cover the screws.



I cut the hand-holds in more of a novel shape this time.



                                      Three coats of Spar varnish and it was ready for delivery.





                                         Two and a half days from concept to finished product,
                                                        The customer was very pleased!

Staying handy,

Mannie




No comments: